Rd 3 U16 v Oak Flats

Rnd 3

Saturday 10 July
Russell Vale 2 v 1 Oak Flats

Originally scheduled for a Sunday, applied for a Friday and the FA in their infinite wisdom decreed it a Saturday game. Russell Vale were very sloppy in the early exchanges, the ball control was poor and they gave the ball away far to often. Oak Flats tried to take advantage but the nearest they came was when their striker blasted over the bar from well inside the box. Russell Vale hit back with a Dylan Andrews long range effort from 30M that just dipped over the bar. Chris Behan also went close when Shae Morgan set him up but he dragged his shot wide. That was as good as it got for the Cobras in the first half as Oak Flats continued to have most of the ball without creating any clear cut opportunities.

The second half begun much the same way as the first half ended with Oak Flats having most of the possession and it almost paid off when a badly mistimed tackle resulted in a penalty. Gareth Garnon came out tops in goal as their striker pulled his shot wide. Spurred on by the miss Russell Vale started making some decent chances of their own. Firstly Hayden Brown went close when his free kick was deflected wide. Then from the resulting corner Matt Nelson was inches away from scoring direct from the corner kick. Soon after Matt Nelson was in the thick of it again when he turned and shot from 12M out only to see their keeper tip his effort onto the bar. As Russell Vale piled on the pressure a quick counter attack from Oak Flats fell kindly to their winger who avoided three tackles before slipping the ball past the advancing Gareth Garnon to give the away side the lead with less than 15 mins to go. Russell Vale threw everything at Oak Flats then with only 5mins to go a Hayden Brown corner found Nathan Hennessy, who knocked the ball back to Matt Nelson who in turn laid it on for Shae Morgan to score the equaliser. Oak Flats were obviously rattled and the Cobras continued to press and when Shae Morgan was brought down on the edge of the box Hayden Brown stepped up to blast the free kick into the goal and Russell Vale were 2-1 up with only a couple of minutes to go. It was then the turn of Oak Flats to throw everyone forward but Russell Vale defended desperately as if their lives depended on it and secured the three points with yet another come from behind victory.


Shaun Hamlet,

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.