Rd 17 U16 v Kiama

Rnd 17

Sunday 6 August

Russell Vale 13 v 0 Kiama

This emphatic win guaranteed the Cobras “Runners Up” spot in Division II. To be fair to Kiama they did field an under strength side and the situation was clinically exploited by Russell Vale especially in the second half. Hayden Brown set up Shae Morgan for the first goal, Matt Nelson then went close several times but was continually denied by the keeper. Then Jean Paul went on a solo run beating three players only to be thwarted by the keeper. Chris Behan was making some penetrating runs down the right flank and his excellent crosses tested the Kiama keeper who was up to the task. Undeterred the Green Machines continued to press and a Coen Mackay cross found the head of Shae Morgan for number two. The game was effectively over as a contest when a great through ball by Nathan Armstrong provided Matt Nelson with the opportunity to power forward and score to make it a comfortable 3-0 at the end of the half. In the past fortnight there has been a lot of wet weather causing the previous game to be cancelled and disruption to several training sessions, resulting in the Cobras looking a bit rusty at times during the opening half hour.

However that all changed at half time as a rejuvenated Russell Vale came out all guns firing and scored two goals in the first minute of the half. Literally straight from the KO a good ball from Hayden Brown provided Shae Morgan with the opportunity to set up Matt Nelson for the fourth goal. Matt Nelson then returned the compliment when his low cross was cheekily flicked in by Shae Morgan 5-0. Then we had what appeared to be an action replay of that goal when the same two players combined for Shae Morgan to score with an identical finish 6-0. Jean Paul was unfortunate when he had a close range effort ruled out for offside. Then one of the surprises of the evening came when Dylan Andrews sneaked up for a corner and bundled Matt Nelson’s cross over the line with his backside 7-0. Even more surprisingly Dylan Andrews scored a second a few minutes later when his left foot met Matt Nelson’s cross to make it 8-0. The players were now queuing up to score and Nathan Hennessy had a double effort from close range that somehow failed to find the back of the net. Matt Nelson wrapped up his performance by scoring numbers 9 and 10 on the evening before he and Shae Morgan left the field to well deserved applause after scoring four goals apiece. Hayden Brown went very close with a couple of long range rockets and then turned provider when a delightful little pass gave Jean Paul the opportunity to finally score his first goal for the club. It was difficult to say who had the biggest smile on the night Jean Paul or Dylan Andrews either way they were so bright we didn’t need floodlights. Number 12 came after a good solo run by Jordan Woods took him into the box and ended with a confident finish. Then it was left to Nathan Armstrong to apply the “coup de gras” in the final second of the game 13-0. Now that we are down to the business end of the season it was a good confidence lift in preparation for the playoffs.


 Shaun Hamlet,

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.