Rd 17 U11.3 v Thirroul

With the Championship wrapped up the players could be excused for taking it easy but instead they went out and dominated the game from start to finish. Midfielder Christian Baade Mortimer and our goalie Ethan Johnson were both out due to illness so Clayton Walker and Brody Armour agreed to take a half each between the sticks.

On a day when the windy conditions were atrocious and the playing surface even worse the Cobras somehow managed to establish their passing game right from the kick off. They could have had a couple of penalties in the first two minutes, both for fouls on Riley Hanlon but the referee seemed oblivious to the fact. It was another one of those days when the opposition goalkeeper chose to have a blinder. The lad pulled off several good saves including shots from Harrison Benn and Hayley Waller that were both pushed onto the woodwork. With 15 mins gone super sub Jordan Errington entered the fray and scored with almost his first kick. Thirroul hung on to half time with the score 0-1 to the Cobras.


After a quick pep talk from the Coach, the players returned to the pitch fired up and ready to put this game to bed. It wasn’t long before Harrison Benn made the game safe with a piece of individual skill, followed by an unstoppable shot. I talk a lot about “pass & move” with the players and we always try to emulate what we do at training in a game situation, that’s why I was so pleased with the third goal. Ryan Hanlon found himself in the unusual position of left back when he won the ball from Thirroul, there was nothing on in front so rather than waste it he knocked the ball back to our sweeper Jack Donnelly, he switched the play by sending the ball across field to Baxter Bowler Prentice, who in turn found Halley Waller, followed by a quick interchange of passes with Ethan Lanarch and the Captain went through and lobbed the goalie to make it 0-3, “Superb!”


Before the game ended we were denied another penalty, this time for hand ball. As Thirroul came under constant pressure their players retreated into the 18 yard box resulting in several frantic goal mouth scrambles before Blair Dunn finally slid in goal number four. In difficult conditions the players had certainly earned their “Happy Meal” after the game.


With just one League game to go in Rnd 18 at home to Balgownie, most likely on Friday evening (TBC). The U11A’s have the opportunity to become “Legends” in the Russell Vale hall of fame. If they win their last match they would have won every single league game played this season. That in itself is an incredible feat but do it by playing “Tiki Taka, Pass & Move, Total Football” while their peers are still playing “hoof ball” is testimony of how far these little players have come in the past two seasons.










Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.