Cawley Park, Terania Street
Cawley Park was donated to Wollongong Council in 1939 by the Cawley family.
The family came to Australia in 1842 from Ireland and were originally involved in business in Sydney, before later becoming engaged in business at Charcoal Creek (Unanderra). In 1846 John Cawley retired from business and took up land at Bellambi.
His five sons also took up land at Bellambi at the same time and the Cawley family effectively owned all of Bellambi.
The eldest son Michael married Jane Geraghty and they had five sons and five daughters. When Michael and Jane first lived at Bellambi they had a farm and an orange orchard. The land was eventually subdivided and Michael had to pay the full cost of putting a road through (Keerong Avenue).
After Michael’s death the land was divided between his five sons. They retained the land but sold pieces it at various times, with most leaving to establish orchards and farms in the Richmond River area.
John Cawley left 64 acres of land to the Catholic Church, this land left to the Marist Fathers became the site of the Holy Cross College for girls and St. Paul’s College for boys (now Holy Spirit College).